Re: [NTLK] new member, old newton owner

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Mon Jan 30 2006 - 09:43:40 PST

Harry Teasley wrote:
> Every web browser wants to download them as text, and I can't seem to
> change that with any browser I try (even when I set the MIME types
> within the browser). I've FTPed some packages and had some success,
> and a lot of -10401 errors on the newt trying to transfer them (bad
> package error).
>
> Does anyone know of a site that actually stuffs the pkg files, so I
> can download them and unstuff them with their resource forks intact?
> I've FTPed some packages that were zipped, and I used ResEdit to
> restore their creator codes, but got the -10401 error on them.

PKG files don't have any useful information in their resource forks.

You should check out the tips here:
http://www.unna.org/mac.shtml

Grab a copy of Packager (for OS X) or PackType (for Classic) to fix
file/creator codes on downloaded packages.

Also, you can blame Apple for reclaiming the PKG extension in OS X...