Re: [NTLK] Old Macs …… going OT

From: <andrewfox_at_mac.com>
Date: Sat Jul 29 2006 - 00:46:13 EDT

Hi,
FWIW I don't think he has nailed it;-)

If his internal drive is larger than 8GB or the first partition is
larger than 8GB then the OS X installer should STILL be able to see
the drive and display it in the list of drives to install on window.

It will however have a red circle with a slash through it if the
drive is the first partition of the volume and is larger than 8GB.

Sounds more like the drive is partitioned for Linux in a format that
OS X don't recognise.

Any G3 based Mac except the original iBook I believe had the "first
partition on the disk MUST be less than 8GB" issue.

The iBook escaped cos it shipped with a 3GB disk ………LOL! but many
users upgraded iMacs with cheap aftermarket disks in search of more
space.

regards
Andrew