Re: [NTLK] "Upgrading NIE" (the Newton is nearly dead)

From: Puckdropper <puckdropper_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun Jun 04 2006 - 04:48:32 EDT

That sounds like an excellent idea to me. Especially
if you do it in such a way that it can be used on
other hardware. I love cards that do their own
processing rather than offload the work to MY CPU.

With a standard API and good documentation, the card
could be used with a varitey of other devices such as
an older 486 laptop with no modem or NIC add-on.

Puckdropper

--- Jim Witte <jswitte@bloomington.in.us> wrote:

> Here's an rather off-the-wall idea.. Instead of
> implementing a
> modern TCP/IP stack in the NOS - which I agree would
> be a huge amount
> of work for very little return (IMO), why not put a
> modern TCP/IP
> stack, with SSL and connecting firmware, on a PCMCIA
> card? Of
> course, you'd still have to write the card handler
> interfaces, but
> since most of the processing would be done
> off-Newton, that should
> basically be just data trasnfer between the card and
> Newton -
> although I have no idea about the problems the
> Newton has with
> handling binary communications - that would deal
> with the endpoint
> interface, which I'm not terribly familiar with (and
> not at all at
> the NOS level). A PCMCIA solution would also
> probably be faster than
> on-Newton processing too, and would free Newton
> processing power to
> do other things.

*trim*