Re: [NTLK] What the Newton "essence" is? - WAS: "Upgrading NIE" (the Newton is nearly dead)

From: Ben Wojtyna <newton_at_torpedobird.com>
Date: Sun Jun 04 2006 - 23:57:35 EDT

With this GUI in mind, I think one thing that all future developments
must keep in mind is adhering to these rules.

Apple was formerly known for having a great set of user interface
guidelines, though as one can see now, that has rapidly deteriorated
with the introduction of various amounts of pin-striping and brushed
metal.

I worry that going beyond the limitations the newton currently has
could encourage this type of behavior. I am not sure what we can do
to prevent it, but I do think it needs to be a point that needs to be
very strongly emphasized in all future developments.

I am by no means a software engineer/programmer/etc, so I often feel
of little use in regards to future development. However, as an
Industrial Designer with a heavy emphasis and concentration on
interaction design and (macro/micro)ergonomics, I offer up all the
user testing and interface help I can provide. I feel like this is
certainly a large part of the newton "feel" and "experience."

Ben