Re: [NTLK] Verizon phone connection via Bluetooth

From: Morgan Aldridge <makkintosshu_at_mac.com>
Date: Sun Jun 11 2006 - 17:13:53 EDT

Verizon does allow 3G access to their network using a BlueTooth phone
(or in some cases, a USB phone) as a modem. I do this fairly
frequently with my Motorola v710 and my MacBook Pro, but I have
configured the Motorola RAZR for this as well.

It works well, but I've only hit 14.4kbps (and 28.8kbps on an odd
occasion) with it. Of course, if I went to Boston or New York City,
it'd probably kick up to 56k speed.

John R Chang has the original documentation I used here:

http://homepage.mac.com/jrc/contrib/mobile_office/

Basically, the phone number is '#777', the username is your-phone-
number@vzw3g.com (i.e. '8025555555@vzw3g.com'), and supposedly the
password can be anything, but I've found 'vzw' to be the most reliable.

Unfortunately, I've run into the same problem that Marty has in terms
of the phone asking to pair again when trying to initiate the
connection. I think that's a Blunt bug, but I need to do more
research on that before actually claiming it.

The correct modem init string (per the "Verizon Support (PC 5220)"
modem script in Mac OS X 10.4 which works for Verizon) is
'ATE0V1&F&D2&C1&C2S0=0'. I think we'll need to write a new NIE script
for this to work, but we obviously need to connect to the phone
correctly first.

Sorry it's not good news.

Sincerely,

Morgan Aldridge