Re: [NTLK] OT - poutine Digest V6 #268

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Mon Jun 12 2006 - 01:51:08 EDT

On 6/11/06, L.W. Brown <lwb@mac.com> wrote:
> And Google it - there are wonderful links, including to a good
> WikiPedia article...

Ah, but it's much more fun to read about it on the _Newton_ faq! ;-)

> The Southern American analog (not really an equivalent) is grits &
> cheese: as in "hominy grits" (a special breed of large-kernel corn
> blanched white, ground into meal and boiled), with massive amounts of
> crumbled yellow cheese - the tastiest being Longhorn style cheddar),
> and maybe a bit of butter, plus black pepper. A somewhat cheaper (and
> therefore far more traditional) type of cheese used is the soft
> yellow stuff from a spray can or bottle called "Cheese Whiz" - even
> more grease & salt.

Actually, I like my grits just fine with just butter and salt, and a
touch o pepper. And some restaurants serve melted cheese for grits.
However, if you do that, you would be better off getting the white
sausage gravy and pouring that over your grits instead! Although, I
think I prefer that over my biscuits. ;-)

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland