Re: [NTLK] newtonmuseum DVDs - summary and search

From: Giulio Marchi <emfdb_at_tiscali.it>
Date: Wed Mar 01 2006 - 15:38:32 EST

Il giorno 01/mar/06, alle 00:35, Frank Gruendel ha scritto:
> Since I am one of the five who received such a set, allow me to chime
> in here...
Thanks Frank, I was waiting for another eminent opinion in addition to
the ones I had privately.

> My understanding was that John did not send these sets in order to have
> them copied and sent to whoever wants one.
Mmmhh... maybe I really have to start to think that my understanding
was not that correct (I hate these moments), despite the interpretation
I still would give to John Venzon messages.

> He explicitly mentioned being
> worried about sharing software that is still being actively sold and in
> some cases even actively supported.
>
> I, for one, will NOT share DVDs that have such software on it.
I agree and, as I wrote in my previous message, I was referring only to
free-like software, manuals and videos but evidently, as you wrote,
these DVDs include both types in an undifferentiated matter. From John
Venzon messages this could be deduced as probably my interpretation
according to which these DVDs were a sort of "freely distributable
collection of stuff".

> So I will not share the
> DVDs
> without having verified that this is OK by my standards. And this is
> going
> to take some time. Hopefully, it will one day result in a set of DVDs
> that
> only contain packages that can be shared without a copyright violation.
Thanks for your time and work. I will be waiting.

Regards to all,

Giulio