Re: [NTLK] MP2100 internet over ethernet: something new, something old.

From: dano <dano_at_well.com>
Date: Wed Mar 01 2006 - 14:35:45 EST

At 7:14 PM +0100 3/1/06, Karel Jansens wrote:
>dano schreef:
>
>> If/when you find the hub that will help in diagnosing the problem as
> > well. If you run a Macintosh you can get a demo copy of Neon's
> > CyberGauge, which is essentially a sniffer. It will show you what
> > signal(s) the Newton is sending to the router, and whether the dhcp
> > request is actually going out and what is coming back.
> >
> > Also, even many inexpensive routers these days have activity logs.
> > Can you check the logs on your router? (Note that the hub will
> > probably not have an activity log.)
>
>There are no log entries from the Newton on my router. It simply does
>not connect.

That's actually useful information. (Though you already suspected as
much, it is good to know as a fact.)

I should have said Neon's LANsurveyor instead of CyberGauge.

With the Newton connected to a hub, LANsurveyor will show any packets
sent by the Newton out to the network device. If none are sent, that
is useful information in that you'll now know that it is not the
router "ignoring" the Newton, and you'll know for sure what you
suspect - that the Newton is not putting any packets onto the wire.

I know it sounds useless to you in your current frustration, but in
diagnosing the problem it is helpful to be able to absolutely isolate
the problem to the Newton itself.

FWIW.