Re: [NTLK] Newtonbook reader for Firefox

From: Eric W. Brown <feneric_at_mac.com>
Date: Fri Mar 10 2006 - 09:49:40 EST

> Not sure if this has been mentioned here, but Newtonslibrary.org is
> back, and there's a public alpha of a Newton Book Reader Firefox
> extension.

We've been back for quite awhile, since late April of 2004 or so, and
we're listed on most of the general search facilities out there. We
didn't know about NewtonTalk though until quite recently when a
NewtonTalk reader contacted us. We've added a couple of features in
that time and are working on a few more things. Probably the most
noteworthy thing that's already public is the search interface:

        http://www.newtonslibrary.org/Search/

It not only search for books by title, but also by full textual content.

The Newton Book Reader Firefox extension is now in its third alpha.
It's already pretty stable and works reliably (albeit slowly).
Compared to the second release, this third release adds the ability
to work with Firefox 1.5.0.1, has good support for tables of contents
(it recognizes not only the regular hierarchy supported by Newton
Press, but also additional independent tables of contents as possible
with BookMaker), handles a few more unusual formats, and even
recognizes internal links. Compared against the first release, it
also gets rid of "unresponsive script" warnings that would often
occur for larger books and/or slower machines.

        http://www.newtonslibrary.org/nbrdr/