[NTLK] Skinning the Newton 2000/2100

From: Knowledge Navigator <knowledgenavigator_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun Mar 19 2006 - 10:10:29 EST

Hello List,
As an alternative to having the clear or colored casings for the Newton, one could consider 'Skinning' the Newton.

What is skinning?

Basically its using an adhesive vinyl or polypropylene based covering that adheres to the exterior of the Newton housing. In theory this would be much cheaper than having the moulds for a custom production of housings manufactured and if implemented correctly would serve a very similar effect. They would also serve to protect the housing in the event of drops or scrapes. They would also work to cover up any existing damage to the housing.

This type of modification is already very popular for the iPod, PSP, and other devices on the market with several designs available. For a look at just some of these designs go to google and type something similar to the following "Skin ipod".

The main issue with having something like this produced, as always, is market size and costs to have the custom die produced to manufacture the skins in the proper size. There are economies of scale when making something like this for the ipod but doing something like this for the Newton would require a significant upfront order to pay for the design and manufacturing costs. I am currently talking to a manufacturer of these types of products and he's told me to first gauge interest before proceeding.

Personally, I think this type of modification would be very cool. I've already experimented with using paints to change the look of the Newton and those turned out well but with the 'skins' you could add a whole new level of customization, detail, and patterns. Another benefit is that they are removable if you were ever to grow tired of your current skin, you could dress your Newton up in a new one.

I have also been experimenting with the idea of laser engraving the housing on the Newton to further add a personalized look to the unit. Would there be any interest in this type of service?

Let me know, I value all comments and if you have any questions please email me directly at knowledgenavigatoris@hotmail.com. Please keep all negative comments off list and email me directly.

Sincerely
KN.