Re: [NTLK] Am I Correct?

From: James Fraser <fast_fierce_and_funny_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed Mar 22 2006 - 23:33:28 EST

Hello,

>I have never seen an eMate in my life but am i correct in saying that
>the eMate uses the same screen as the 2000?

Not as far as I can tell:

>that's what Matt was telling you: 480 pixels / 100 dpi = 4.8" [for the
>2000], whereas
>480 pixels / 85 dpi = 5.65" [for the eMate], so the eMate's screen is
>larger, even though
>it does show the same number of pixels.

http://www.newtontalk.net/archive/feb2000/1373.html

A list member also seems to have bought some screen protectors for his
eMate...and had to trim them down a bit for his 2000:

>>Well, I think the smaller size is because of the button bar, because
>>it really is 480x320. And BTW, the only difference between the eMate
>>screen and the MP2K screen is the resolution....85 dpi vs. 100 dpi,
>>respectively.

>Not true..
>I bought some Concept Kitchen Wrightrights for my eMate, and had to cut
>them
>smaller to fit my MP2k.. The eMate screen is larger...

http://www.newtontalk.net/archive/feb2000/1369.html

and finally:

http://www.msu.edu/~luckie/gallery/emate300.htm

>So, I have come up with the idea that Scott can get me a bunch of
>eMates and i can Trash one for the screen and the backlight (My 2000
>needs a new one bad!)

[shrugs] Perhaps sort of hack is possible. According to the above numbers,
though, there's a .85-inch (we'll call it an inch) difference in size
between the two screens. Perhaps a clever person on the list has attempted
this. Since I don't fall into that category myself, I'd sure hate to say it
can't be done.

>Scott says the SchoolBoard has eMate's Out the [anatomical reference
>excised].

Rather than trying to fit square pegs into round holes: can your friend
Scott obtain eMates at low/no cost? If so, why not simply sell a few to
raise the money for a new 2000? Perhaps some people on the list may want to
purchase one. [shrugs]

Of course, all this assumes that these eMates are still in haveway decent
cosmetic/functional condition. It also assumes that there is a market for
eMates, what with the hinge/connecting cable problem they're known to have.

www.inventors-emporium.co.uk/pages/newton-emate-hinge.html

And which, since it is a known design flaw, you'd be obligated to tell any
potential buyers about (unless, of course, the thought of experiencing
severe karmic constipation doesn't bother you).

Hope this helps...

Best,

James Fraser