[NTLK] GPS and Laptops/OT

From: Michael Beale <mjbeale50_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu Mar 23 2006 - 23:22:06 EST

Dear Newtontalk.

Sorry to be raising this issue with the group, but as a Newton user it seems
that many people in the group have knowledge which may help me to sort out a
course of action. It seems that many people use Newtons and may also use
older powerbooks like I have access to. It seems as if people push the
boundaries and that someone may have some pointers or could refer me to
somewhere else for help.

My challenge, and I have not found where to go on this issue yet, is I need
to integrate data collection of gps location, data from a triaxial
accelerometer detecting roughness of surface being traversed, and ideally
some time lapse possible security camera footage. The point of this
exercise is to come up with an inexpensive way of evaluating problems with
bicycle paths so that gps data, images and a measure of roughness (triaxial
accelerometer) can be integrated so that sections or isolated locations on
bike paths can be documented easily. This may enable me to get some
exercise, see different parts of Melbourne and out of Melbourne, and assist
local government in maintaining their tracks. This kind of assessment
could be done annually.

Laptops available for use are g4 500MHz and pismo 400 Mhz both running in
OSX 10.3.9. I also have access to an old Wallstreet g3 250MHz. This also
can run in osx. I considered getting a laptop with inbuilt accelerometer
to protect the hard-disk, however I have not found any leads about
accessing signal from these inbuilt accelerometers and logging the data.

Any suggestions on how I could get these elements together?

If I don't hear from anyone then I know I was mistaken.

Thanks for your collective indulgence.

Michael