Re: [NTLK] Newton Museum DVDs

From: Matthew Surles <minimicrite_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri Mar 24 2006 - 08:33:27 EST

Hello all:
I've been following the torrent discussion, and I think there may be a
little confusion about what a torrent actually is. If I'm off-base, I
apologize in advance.

Quite simply, it distributes the file over many computers which all act as
"seeds", so that no single computer bears the burden of being the only
source for a file.

Or, in a little more detail, there is not just one person who hosts the
file. As soon as the person seeding the file begins to share it, the
leechers all begin to share what they have received. For example, person #1
shares "Part X" of the download with person #2, and then person #2 shares
"Part X" with persons #3 & 4, etc. Meanwhile, the seeder has only
distributed the file one time, greatly reducing his bandwidth, and those
people downloading also upload.

It's kind of like instant digital karma. Everybody who takes, also gives
back.

-matt