Re: [NTLK] Newt and Internet Telephony

From: Morgan Aldridge <makkintosshu_at_mac.com>
Date: Tue May 23 2006 - 07:08:24 EDT

Performance is really the main issue at hand, especially the
performance of NIE (the Newton Internet Enabler). I think Adriano's
initiative to update NIE (http://u.nie.notwen.com/) is going to be
more and more important.

Someone could definitely write a SIP client for the Newton OS (I'd
love one) and the processor should be fast enough for some of the
lower quality codecs such as GSM, but the latency over ethernet and
WiFi might be too much of an issue.

Also, more processing power would be required to do echo
cancellation, so it might push the limits of the Newton's processor.

However, with VoIP becoming more common, this opens up a possibility
to extend the Newton's usability quite a bit. If someone were to try
and implement this, I'd love to see it done and would be willing to
pay as well.

Sincerely,

Morgan Aldridge

--