Re: [NTLK] Newtonbooks on UNNA [was: Re: Where is DJ?]

From: Dan <dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com>
Date: Tue May 23 2006 - 12:53:50 EDT

On 5/23/2006 12:31 PM, Michael Blazer wrote:
> I may have missed something, but I'm wondering why everyone should not continue
> uploading Newtonbooks to UNNA? I certainly appreciate the efforts of DJV and others in
> making books, spurring others to do so, and setting up repositories, but ... why not
> also upload them all to UNNA, just as insurance? (subject of course to copyright issues
> where applicable)
>
> The purpose of UNNA (as I understand it, anyway) was to gather together in one place all
> the various Newton software archives around the net, some of which were in danger of
> disappearing. It seems to me that's still a very worthwhile mission. UNNA has a proven
> track record since being adopted by Victor, and he hasn't abandoned it despite his
> current fling with a Pepper Pad. ;-)

Well Victor is very very busy and would like to give up his admin of
UNNA if he could find someone seriously willing to take over, with the
knowledge necessary to run it. In one of Victor's recent posts he
mentions that nothing has been added to UNNA in quite a while (he just
has not had time to check the files and release them to the archive).
And that the submission system is broken, but since he lacks the time to
approve files anyway....that has not been fixed either (not much point
to it).

I am not putting down Victor. In fact I am greatful and I applaud all
his work over the years (and that he continues to keep UNNA up rather
than just dump it). But he has many more things on his plate than when
he started UNNA and just lacks the time.

-Dan