[NTLK] Stock Zaurus to Einstein? Help Needed

From: RossO <newton_at_ordersomewherechaos.com>
Date: Wed May 24 2006 - 01:02:55 EDT

Throwing all caution to the wind, I bought a Sharp Zaurus SL-5500 off
of eBay, fresh from being refurbed by the mothership.

I've upgraded to the latest ROM (3.10) so I've gone through that
process, but it looks like I've got a long way to go until I can get to
the point that Adam Tow has shown us:

http://www.tow.com/2006/01/14/wwnc-2006/

So I imagine the steps go something like this:

0) Get a Sharp Zaurus SL-5500

1) Install OpenZaurus (3.5.x)

Which version? Need more instructions here! I want to get an install of
OZ that has just the pieces that Einstein needs. However it seems that
the 5500 is considered to have a very tight space for the Flash RAM. It
seems that Einstein needs X11. Does that mean I need to install OPIE?
or GPE?

http://openzaurus.berlios.de/collie/install

http://openzaurus.org/wordpress/downloads/

http://oz.hentges.net/mirror/oz3.5.4/images/collie/

The note at the bottom of that first BerliOS site/wiki says that the
root should be moved to another card. did the SL-5500 in Adam's photo
have that?

3) Install Einstein. Since I've not even gotten through step 2, this
one is a ways down the road for me.

This is an obvious candidate for the WikiWikiNewt, so I'll start a page
there to get this rolling. Anyone who can pitch in, please respond here
(for the MARC archive) and on the wiki page below. Thanks everyone!

--
Ross Olson ::: Producer, Author, Instructor
      __ http://www.rossolson.com/ __