Re: [NTLK] Jaggies make me sad

From: James Carchedi (Austin, Texas) <jcarchedi_at_austin.rr.com>
Date: Mon May 29 2006 - 03:09:29 EDT

I have three MP2100s and all developed severe cases of the jaggies.
After some research, I decided to give the case mod a try, since all
other efforts failed, including hard reset, electroshock therapy,
voodoo, etc. This case mod/bezel procedure was discovered by somebody
else and reported in this mailing list, I believe, a couple years
back. His theory was that the top case bezel inevitably warps after
everyday use, and that the edge of the upper plastic touches the
screen and causes the jaggies. Well, he's right.

After taking one of the Newtons apart for a test, I asked an
acquaintance who was a machinist to mill the upper half of the
plastic case about 1/8". He did so by hand using a dremel-like tool.
Jaggies fixed. I then proceeded to do the same modification to the
two other newtons myself, and I can safely say that all the jaggies
on all three newtons are gone for good.

I am convinced this is the cause of 98% of the jaggies reported. If
you have a dremel and have a fairly steady hand, and can disassemble/
reassemble the Newton, and don't mind a slight gap between the screen
and plastic case, you should give it a try. It is certainly cheaper
than buying another Newt that, in all likelihood, will develop the
same aggravating the problem after a while.

Cheers,
James