[NTLK] Jaggies make me sad

From: Steven Frank <stevenf_at_panic.com>
Date: Thu May 04 2006 - 01:12:48 EDT

Since the 2100 I was playing with recently developed jaggies, I
pulled another 2100 and a 2000 out of the closet to see how they were
doing.
Both of them have good calibration on one half of the screen, but the
ink is about a quarter-inch away from the stylus tip on the other
half of the screen, making it hard to accurately tap things.

The other 2100 I was using was behaving fine, but now any pressure on
the bottom-right quadrant of the case (assuming standard portrait
orientation) will cause a jaggies frenzy. No pressure, no jaggies.
Unfortunately, it's exactly the spot where you rest your palm while
writing that causes them.

I disassembled this 2100 completely -- motherboard out; screen
separated from front of case -- wiped down the entire screen surface,
applied rubbing alcohol to the digitizer ribbon cable and the
contacts on the board that it mates with, and for good measure, even
crudely shaved down part of the inside of the front case as has been
oft-suggested.

Got it all back together (even had a few extra screws left over ;))
and to my amazement it actually powered back up, but was no different
at all with regards to the jaggies behavior.

So, I have three 2x00 series Newtons all with varying degrees of
failing touchscreens. Sadness. :( Here's hoping that Einstein is
progressing nicely...

I'm not sure why I'm posting this, other than to add my jaggies
experience to the NTLK archives for future reference, and maybe as
sort of a group therapy process. Is this the part where we all hug?

Steven
http://panic.com/
http://stevenf.com/