Re: [NTLK] Jaggies make me sad

From: Karel Jansens <kareljansens_at_tiscalinet.be>
Date: Thu May 04 2006 - 06:47:45 EDT

Steven Frank schreef:
> Since the 2100 I was playing with recently developed jaggies, I
> pulled another 2100 and a 2000 out of the closet to see how they were
> doing.
> Both of them have good calibration on one half of the screen, but the
> ink is about a quarter-inch away from the stylus tip on the other
> half of the screen, making it hard to accurately tap things.
>
> The other 2100 I was using was behaving fine, but now any pressure on
> the bottom-right quadrant of the case (assuming standard portrait
> orientation) will cause a jaggies frenzy. No pressure, no jaggies.
> Unfortunately, it's exactly the spot where you rest your palm while
> writing that causes them.
>
> I disassembled this 2100 completely -- motherboard out; screen
> separated from front of case -- wiped down the entire screen surface,
> applied rubbing alcohol to the digitizer ribbon cable and the
> contacts on the board that it mates with, and for good measure, even
> crudely shaved down part of the inside of the front case as has been
> oft-suggested.
>
> Got it all back together (even had a few extra screws left over ;))
> and to my amazement it actually powered back up, but was no different
> at all with regards to the jaggies behavior.
>
> So, I have three 2x00 series Newtons all with varying degrees of
> failing touchscreens. Sadness. :( Here's hoping that Einstein is
> progressing nicely...
>
> I'm not sure why I'm posting this, other than to add my jaggies
> experience to the NTLK archives for future reference, and maybe as
> sort of a group therapy process. Is this the part where we all hug?

I have a 2100 with exactly the same jagged behaviour: all kinds of
weirdness happening in the bottom right of the screen in portrait
resolution. Funnily enough, merely rotating the display 90 degrees
counterclockwise got rid of it alltogether: the entire screen behaves
nicely again.

The snag? I can only use that Newton in landscape mode.

Karel Jansens