Re: [NTLK] WaveLAN Setup Questions

From: R A Parker <QuadzillaNET_at_Newted.ORG>
Date: Sun Oct 01 2006 - 05:18:00 EDT

On Saturday, September 30, 2006 at 7:34 pm Chris wrote:

> . I'm trying to access the wifi network on campus. I
> followed the instructions on the driver site, but the key bit of info
> I seem to be missing is the SSID. I have no idea what this is, or
> for that matter what to list there.

You can leave SSID blank if your campus has an open network (i.e. broadcasts the SSID for your Newton to pickup). Otherwise, in the case of a closed network, set SSID to network name that you want your Newton to connect to. Setting the SSID is handy when using different worksites from your owner settings.

> I assume as far as a wifi
> hotspot goes, I just configure the card for "Infrastructure" mode,
> and Channel 1 (since the setup won't let me select a different channel).

Not much else, unless you need to access a web page to login first. The Wifi will be working but you won't get any valid DNS results (internet errors) until you do.

> I also could use some tips running Internet Setup. What I've done so
> far is make a new, generic setup named for the campus. Should the
> configuration be "DHCP Server", or "Manual

Leave as DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol), unless you know how to configure your own network.

Happy to help...

Ron

--
Sent with Mail V and a Wireless MessagePad 2100.
--
       |\ |  @ TahoeSunsets.COM