Re: [NTLK] WaveLAN Setup Questions

From: Martin Joseph <NT_at_stillnewt.org>
Date: Sun Oct 01 2006 - 02:33:11 EDT

On Sep 30, 2006, at 7:34 PM, Chris wrote:

> Hullo. I just got my mits on a Lucent WaveLAN Silver card, and I
> need advice configuring it for use with v1.08a of the driver
> software. I'm trying to access the wifi network on campus. I
> followed the instructions on the driver site, but the key bit of info
> I seem to be missing is the SSID. I have no idea what this is, or
> for that matter what to list there. I assume as far as a wifi
> hotspot goes, I just configure the card for "Infrastructure" mode,
> and Channel 1 (since the setup won't let me select a different
> channel).
> I also could use some tips running Internet Setup. What I've done so
> far is make a new, generic setup named for the campus. Should the
> configuration be "DHCP Server", or "Manual"?
The SSID is what is commonly referred to as the Network name. In
other words, if you are looking in the menubar of an OSX mac under
the airport menu, you will see the SSID there. You need to be
careful to enter this info exactly.

The Newton unfortunately doesn't have a way to find the SSID.

You can try the DHCP setting, and depending on the DHCP server in use
there it may or may not work. If you can figure out and manually
configure the TCP/IP info then you are good.

Good Luck, and have fun.

Marty