Re: [NTLK] What to get next..?

From: <abruch_at_deakin.edu.au>
Date: Sat Oct 07 2006 - 04:56:28 EDT

I spent the first 8 years with a MP2100 purchased new. At the time I
wanted an eMate because of its form factor and built in keyboard. I
used and hibernated and returned to the MP2100 many times as my
technology needs demanded. I worked on wireless apps for PocketPC for
a while and loved the reading of books while on public transport. One
hand holds the passenger strap of the tram or train ( I live in
Melbourne) and the other the pda and turned pages as needed.
Bliss.
I always wanted an eMate and then two months ago bought one from a
list reader ( I think he has more). It is everybit as beautiful as I
imagined and I love the ability to open and type easily. I have an
external keyboard for the MP but this is easier.

Then last week my friends at an Apple ed reseller gave me a complete
eMate in original packaging, that had been sitting forlorn in the back
of the local High School. I was flabbergasted.

Now to the point of this reply.
The eMate is noticeably slower and with less memory. It has one PCMCIA
card and is bigger in overall size but not the screen though, where
the onscreen data is displayed larger.

I use both. Each has its virtues. If I want to read in bed the MP
allows my to have head on pillow and read comfortably.
If I want to type the notes for the content I am creating the eMate
allows me to carry, type and continue easily.

I have an old Mac with serial cable and run OS8 and NCU so transfer is easy.

If you can get both. If not start with the MP. It is faster, smaller,
more exandable and hinge problemless. It represents the pinnacle of
Newt.

cheers and happy greening.
Ade

--
Adrian Bruch
Lecturer: The Digital Studio
Bachelor of Interactive Media,
School of Communication and Creative Arts
Deakin University [Burwood] Australia.
Phone: 03 924 46083 / Mobile 0419 359261
Website: http://www.deakin.edu.au
Deakin University CRICOS Provider Code 00113B (Vic)
Important Notice: The contents of this email are intended solely for the named
addressee and are confidential; any unauthorised use, reproduction or
storage of
the contents is expressly prohibited. If you have received this email
in error,
please delete it and any attachments immediately and advise the sender
by return
email or telephone.
Deakin University does not warrant that this email and any attachments
are error
or virus free.