Re: [NTLK] New to Newts. Wifi, Palm syncing, and other question

From: Sonny Hung <sonnyhung_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon Oct 09 2006 - 20:19:03 EDT

On 10/9/06, Steve Trotter <trotter@nwinfo.net> wrote:
> Questions:
> 2. How might I cross-synchronize between my Sony Clie Palm handheld
> and the MP 2100 (and 120 for addresses)? Is it seamless via a utility?
> Will I need to transfer information from Palm to, say, a .csv file, then
> import to the MP? Anyone know where to look for information on that subject?

My only suggestion on this matter of cross synchronization is that you
might want to try using Outlook as the common denominator.

I've done it in the past but have not done so for so long that I
forget the details.

Basically from the Palm OS Device you sync the data to Outlook using
your choice of conduit software. Then you download all the possible
data back from Outlook into your Newton with LookOut. There are some
non-compatible data structures but the primary ones should transfer
and you might have to specify which items to sync and such so this
would be a trial and error situation till you figured it out...

> 3. How difficult is it to replace the screen on the 2100? The one I
> bought has a lot of scratches and one blotchy spot that can't be written
> on, a spot about 3/4 inch in diameter. I've thought about buying another
> for the screen, IF it's a replacement job someone who's not too
> technically/hands-on savvy can handle. Comments?

Definitely one that's been discussed before.
Use the Frank's instructions on dis-assembly here:
http://www.pda-soft.de/2x00_disassemble.html

It's easier as you do it more often. No really a difficult item to do
if you're adept at it.
I think if you are not so savy but are willing to try your hand at it
it's possible. You'll have a few learning curve items. Mostly
regarding the remove of the back case (initial opening of lip near the
battery orafice & then the area around the power switch) beyond that
it's pretty straight forward. My personal suggestion is to use a
cookie tray with a pillow case over it. The lip will prevent things
from rolling away and the pillow case will prevent things from
bouncing off of it... YMMV

You can send it to Frank, and there are a few others here in the US
and elsewhere on the glove that will be able to do this for you
also... I'm in NYC/NY and can do it if my schedule permits...

But I say go for it - if you are unable to complete it I'm willing to
assist you if you don't mind send it my way...

The WiFi and XP question.
I'm not sure what you're trying to do exactly.
Syncing or Internet Connectivity.
Sync over Ethernet/WiFi for PC's are not possible - this is a Mac Only
item until someone figures how to make it happen.

--
God bless,
Sonny Hung