Re: [NTLK] Sync Newton using Sheepshaver

From: Matt Emson <memsom_at_interalpha.co.uk>
Date: Tue Oct 10 2006 - 12:33:59 EDT

> I have successfully installed Mac OS 7.6 (a disk image downloaded
> from UNNA) to BasiliskII port 19. This image (Mac OS 7.6) came
> preinstalled with NCU but as soon as it launches, it crashes.

Are you sure it is 7.6 because that would be illegal? System 7.5.5 is the
latest one Apple released for free, last time I looked (a few months ago
when I was playing with my Mac Classic.)

Secondly, you say "Sheepshaver" and you say "Basilisk II".. which one? They
are not exactly the same thing:

Sheepshaver was the MacOS Execution environment that Christian Bauer (sp?)
released for BeOS, and was later ported to other environments. It executed
MacOS as a program in a thin native host OS wrapper and is tied to PowerPC
machines. I have it installed under BeOS on my 9500 at home. I believe it
now runs on non PowerPC environments too using some kind of emulation layer
that was bolted on, but that's another story.

Basilisk II (which does share some elements of code) is a traditional
emulator that emulates a 68000 based Mac. Also originally by Cristian Bauer.

Does the image requires a 68000 processor (well 680x0 processor) ? If so
Sheepshaver might not work, but Basilisk II should. Do you have the correct
ROM image for the emulator? You will require a legitimate Mac ROM to use the
emulator. That might be your issue too.

http://www.emaculation.com/ is a great resource for Mac emulation.

HTH