[NTLK] An alternative to Classic enviroment: Basilisk II

From: Abraham Limpo Martínez <abraham_at_familialimpo.net>
Date: Tue Sep 19 2006 - 09:38:41 EDT

I wanted to share my experiences with the list in hope that someone will
find useful.

Basilisk II is a 68k Mac emulator that runs on a variety of platforms,
including Linux, Mac OS X (Intel and PowerPC) and Windows. As it is, it
runs any Mac OS from 7.x to 8.1 without problems (and you can coerce to
run 6.x with some tweaking ;D ).

Altough you need to create a virtual disk (a file that will be used to
simulate a hard disk) to run, it provides a link to your filesystem as
another hard disk, so you can transfer archives from and to the system
without much trouble (except that I need to find a way to store the
resource fork and identifiers on Unix Filesystem).

I have tested it on an Ubuntu Dapper, emulating a 68040 Mac with 64 RAM
and using a Quadra ROM. I can sync to my newton with no major problems
(no slowing down the system, for example). The only issue I found is
that the emulator hangs when you attempt to undock the newton.
Attempting to re-dock seems to reawake the emulator.

Basilisk II is available for Mac OS X at
(http://www.users.bigpond.com/pear_computers/), for windows at
(http://www.gibix.net/dokuwiki/en:projects:basilisk2) and, altough many
Linux distributions include it on its repository (ubuntu includes it on
multiverse), you can find the sources at
(http://basilisk.cebix.net/#download)