Re: [NTLK] An alternative to Classic enviroment: Basilisk II

From: Morgan Aldridge <makkintosshu_at_mac.com>
Date: Tue Sep 19 2006 - 13:55:45 EDT

On Sep 19, 2006, at 9:38 AM, Abraham Limpo Martínez wrote:
> [snip]
>
> Altough you need to create a virtual disk (a file that will be used to
> simulate a hard disk) to run, it provides a link to your filesystem as
> another hard disk, so you can transfer archives from and to the system
> without much trouble (except that I need to find a way to store the
> resource fork and identifiers on Unix Filesystem).
>
> [snip]

On Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger; and earlier versions as well, but I don't
know how frequently it was used), the OS can (and often will)
separate out the resource forks into a file with a '._' prefix (the
rest of the name being the same as that of the whole file, i.e. data
& resource fork as one file). You may want to research how Mac OS X
is doing that (if there's some routines that could be called from a
script or something).

Also, Netatalk (http://netatalk.sourceforge.net/; a *NIX/BSD
AppleTalk File Server) also does this (although, I believe that they
use a different naming scheme for the resource fork), so it's worth
checking as well.

Morgan Aldridge

--
morgant@makkintosshu.com