Re: [NTLK] New wiki page on working with a desktop

From: Michael C. Wittmann <mwittmann_at_maine.edu>
Date: Tue Sep 19 2006 - 21:35:35 EDT

Thanks for the positive feedback...
> It seems like you mostly push info one-way out of the Newton to the
> desktop, and not the other way around. True?

Not entirely. I often get emails that I "need" to have on the Newton
(like agendas for meetings). I have the NPDS server set up on my
machine. I turn it on relatively often (a screen shot of my calendar
helps me run my day, for example). I can use the whiteboard to dump a
note onto the Newton, if needed.

I haven't had success with blunt/bluetooth. That would be a lot
easier, of course.

> How do you handle situations such as a note getting updated?

If it's a major update, the date in the title gets changed (In my
complicated date system, described on the Wiki, the notes date is
internal to the note and not based on when it is downloaded to the
desktop). Also, today's request for TimeStamp was exactly about this.
If I update, I want the Note to exist "now." The archived version is
on my desktop, in text or OPML version, after all. I don't mind
storing both, since they show an evolution of details.

I hope that addresses some of your questions.

Like you, I'm curious about how others do this. Ronnie Simon's
presentations were actually what got me thinking about formally
describing all this. I'm curious about what others do, as well. The
Setups described on the wiki are a start, but it's the day-to-day use
that I am really curious about. I always like learning new tricks!

Michael