[NTLK] I successfully contacted the ChatBuddy/Tactile Systems owner! (was: Re: Visit the #Newton IRC channel on EFNet)

From: Alex Perez <aperez_at_alexperez.com>
Date: Fri Sep 29 2006 - 22:35:54 EDT

Tony Giunta wrote:
> On Sep 29, 2006, at 1:26 AM, xp wrote:
>
>>> Why not contact the original author and ask him to release it (and
>>> perhaps source?) I doubt he's making any money off it these days, and
>>> since you can't buy it, clearly he's not trying to.
>> I've tried. The website is stale, the phone number left there
>> doesn't work,
>> and I haven't been able to contact anyone.\
>> If anyone knows someone I could contact I'd definitely do that.
>>

> De-lurking to chime in on this one. I was able to buy/register
> ChatBuddy a little over a year ago. I don't know if he's still doing
> it, but Anthony Velasco was the one who was taking care of that kind
> of stuff for Tactile's software. I don't have the link anymore, and
> a quick Google search didn't turn up anything, but that's how I did it.

I just personally spoke with Rob five minutes ago. I asked him if he
would remove the stale phone number and e-mail address from the Tactile
Systems About ten minutes worth of Google-detective-work on my part
paid off. He re-affirmed what you said, Tony, which is that he has an
agreement with Anthony Velasco to sell Tactile software on his behalf.
He directed me to call him back if I fail to contact Anthony.

It appears that Anthony has not e-mailed this list since 2003-09-30
22:49:43 according to the mailing list archives. I have CC'ed Anthony
and would ask that he reply to the mailing list if this e-mail address
is still valid, and state clearly whether or not he is still interested
in selling the software on Rob's behalf. I also asked Rob if he would be
willing to release the source to ChatBuddy or sell it, and he stated
that he was not interested in doing so at this time. Anthony, if you are
no longer interested in selling Rob's products, perhaps you would be
willing to hand the baton to me? I understand if you've moved on in your
life and am no longer an active Newtoner, but please reply either way,
so we can get this all sorted out once and for all.

Kind Regards,
Alex Perez