Re: [NTLK] Email storage on Card

From: R A Parker <QuadzillaNET_at_SBCGlobal.NET>
Date: Thu Dec 13 2007 - 01:48:00 EST

On Wednesday, December 12, 2007 at 8:40 pm Greg Hankins wrote
> I will change my card setting,
> as you suggest.

> The Newton's ability to store
> separate pieces of the same
> database in both the internal store
> and card takes some getting used to.

Yep, you'll pick it up.

> I suppose I should purchase a 24
> or 32 NB card

Yes, you should consider a 24MB external card. What... You don't already
have one? ;-)

> and keep my applications
> on the internal store and information
> on the card.

That's another thing you will want to consider, what goes where for best
use. Email message data, definitely on the external store. Important data?
Names, dates, to dos... Internal. Gotta have (always) Apps? Internal. Other
apps... on the external. There's a system to everyone's madness.

> RA's note about the 2K bug worries me.

This memory fragmentation problem I mentioned may only affect POP3
accounts. If you're accessing .Mac using IMAP, you may not have to worry
about it.

I, however, have multiple POP3 and (1) IMAP account on my Newton. . During
heavy use, I've had to erase my external card nearly every 30 days. No big
deal, I got used to it. Check the archives for some of my notes about this.

> If I move storage to the card,
> will I lose 2K per login on the card?

Yes, if you use POP. You will need a good Backup/Restore strategy.
Eventually you will have to erase the card to get the missing space back.

> or should I be
> looking at another email client?

Nope... Mail V is the best.

Best Regards,

Ron

--
Sent using GoFetch and a Wireless Newton 2100.
--
       |\ |  @ TahoeSunsets.COM
--
Fetch...Send...Stay... "Good Boy!"