Re: [NTLK] Wireless Help?

From: Ian P. Currie <ipcurrie_at_mac.com>
Date: Wed Dec 26 2007 - 02:20:04 EST

Thank you Greg -

This:

>I wonder if the Newt thinks you are connected because you used manual
>connection ? in other words, if you set it to manual, the Newt just
>assumes you know what you are doing, rather than checking it out to
>see whether a connection really exists.

is what I have come to believe. Particularly since I reconfigured the
router a little and was able to use a manual DHCP set up on one of the
laptops in the house, but I'm still not able to see the Newton in the
router logs when it appeared to connect.

I now see that when I choose one of the ad-hoc options, I can choose a
channel! Never noticed before. Unfortunately, it doesn't make any
difference.

In both Courier and SimpleMail, I get essentially the same error from
the Newton. Shortly after the progress bar / slip says it is "loading
the DHCP protocol" I get an error specifying that the DHCP server is
unavailable or unable to configure this device."

I don't have a laptop that will work with the card, so I can't test it
that way. The only evidence I have that it works is that lights on the
card, which appear to come on when they should.

Today I zeroed the Newton, and reinstalled:

Newton Internet Enabler Module
Newton Internet Enabler
Newton Devices
Internet Setup
WaveLAN Driver
More Wi-fi Cards

+ Courier and Simple Mail

Then into a new worksite, set up a configuration in Internet Setup.

The bare bones approach has not helped. Is there some little thing I
am missing?

I.