Re: [NTLK] Wireless Help? - Victory !

From: Ian P. Currie <ipcurrie_at_mac.com>
Date: Fri Dec 28 2007 - 02:49:40 EST

Hello all,

I'm sure you been awake at night wondering if I'd ever get it to work,
but I did, with the Buffalo WLI-PCM-L11GP, recognized by the Hiroshi's
driver as the Melco WLI-PCM-L11 + the Airport Extreme (n).

Thanks to Morgan for that last bit of advice and to others who
encouraged me to test the card... it was a mixture of both these things
that got it up and running. For archive purposes, this is what worked:

Began with a plan to test the card in my PowerBook G4, which has a
PCMCIA slot.

a) downloaded and installed driver from Buffalo site. (Driver is Mac
OS 9 and below only).

b) configured the card following the instructions that came with the
driver (an odd process in which I had to activate Apple Talk in order
to access the card settings).

c) it sprang to life almost immediately under DHCP and was assigned the
IP I "reserved" for it in the Airport Extreme settings.

d) while I had it up and running, I downloaded a fresh copy NIE 2 from
Unna
(http://mirrors.unna.org/download.planetnewton.com/download/programming/applenie.htm)
and a fresh copy of Hiroshi's driver from
http://www.ff.iij4u.or.jp/~ngc/eng/newtwave.htm .

e) I used Remove It to delete the existing NIE 2 files + the existing
copy of Hiroshi's driver from the Newt.

f) Reinstalled everything using Newton IrDA Installer, essentially in
the order directed by Victor Rehorst in
http://www.newtontalk.net/archive/newtontalk.2004-09/2189.html . I did
a Reset on the Newton after each package install.

-Internet Enabler
-Internet Setup
-Newton Devices
-Ethernet support
-Hiroshi's WaveLan Driver

g) Put the card back in the Newt, configured it as follows:

Infrastructure
SSID
WEP Yes (String - 15 characters)

h) Did a new Internet Setup
DHCP
Card - MELCO WLI-PCM-L11
Domain Name- None

And presto - works like a charm.

Thanks again to everyone. Maybe Bluetooth will be my next challenge!

I.