Re: [NTLK] NotePhone 2

From: Sonny Hung <sonnyhung_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue Jan 09 2007 - 10:35:09 EST

On 1/9/07, Grant Hutchinson <grant@splorp.com> wrote:

> It a standard way of recouping expenses through write-offs on
> "failed" R & D. From a business standpoint, it makes perfect (and
> economic) sense on the spreadsheets, but in reality, it's a bit
> twisted. Destroying potentially valuable items for small gains in the
> present ... hmmm, kind of sounds like the entire history of human
> events.
>
> Sigh.

Grant,

Thanks for the blurb...I know ALL to well.

The same thought processes are used here at the campus we have a plethora of
older computer equipment which could be managed to bring additional income
to fund the campus' shortfalls in internal funding... But due to the
bureaucracy everything is logged as being EOL and eventually it is carted
off at an additional expense to be disposed of in the appropriate
environmentally safe processes.

I've had my eye on an Apple //plus by Bell & Howell with the full
complements of equipment located in our IT department on campus. I was
informed though that campus policy is that anything being disposed of can
not be taken by an employee. If this is done the campus can terminate your
employment... I've had to watch many pieces of computer history be disposed
of unfortunately the past two plus years of employment here. :(

Doesn't quite make sense - nor is it good stewardship of the tax monies we
are paying to our government...

From what I understand, there were always two models of the
> NotePhone: the one based on the MP2000/NOS 2.0 platform (as shown on
> the Newted gallery page); and the original NotePhone, which was based
> around the MP100/NOS 1.x platform. You are correct ... that reference
> to the 110 is a typo on my part.
>
> I have updated the gallery page.

I expected that... I've been reviewing my Flickr account and my oh my I've
had a boat load of typos that are now corrected... usually it's faster if
another pair of eyes is pointing this out as we've not that much time to
look over all our stuff when we are multi-tasking, eh Grant...

--
God bless,
Sonny Hung