Re: [NTLK] What are the news on Newton development?

From: Goodwin, Greg P. <GoodwinG_at_aafes.com>
Date: Wed Jan 31 2007 - 08:57:44 EST

        Nothing strange about being a Newton user. You want a real kick, do a search on YouTube.com for "Newton 2000". Saw one cool movie showing how wifi and bluetooth could be used on the Newton.

        I think the Newton is great as a portable device, and .. "ok"... as it own stand alone platform. It's like the Newton is a tinkerer's haven, where things mainly theoretically work. You can SAY things work. You can SAY it can play MP3's, just doesn't do that well. You can SAY it surfs the internet or you can read mail, but again, does that "ok".

        And yes my biggest gripe, importing information on the Newton is like stuffing a marshmellow into a slightly larger marshmellow. Can be done, just takes a while. (One Mp3 at 4 meg over Appletalk/ethernet... 15 minutes!)

        But then my view of the Newton happens after I worked at running the Newton as a desktop. It did "ok". I had a Newton 2000 with a ethernet card and a VGA card and with the built in 4 meg of storage turned the Newton 2000 effectively into a supped up Mac II. Why I support PCBMan on making the internal 10-12 meg internal storage upgrade. But oh well. Internal storage and information transfer... to me those are the weakest areas that keep the Newton from being truly just above all amazing.

        Doc Clu