Re: [NTLK] ForWord data entry system

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Sun Jul 01 2007 - 02:28:53 EDT

On 6/29/07, Joel M. Sciamma <joel@inventors-emporium.co.uk> wrote:
> I was reading the latest column by Bob Cringely and he has a pointer
> to a data entry system named ForWord which looks very clever:
> <http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2007/pulpit_20070622_002278.html>
> <http://www.forwordinput.com/>
>
> He suggests that this input method might be adopted by the iPhone at
> some time in the future.
>
> This would also work on the Newt but it does involve displaying a
> keyboard on the screen stealing space that HWR does not do.

What's really odd about this concept, is that I had thought of just
this very thing watching Pogue's video. I suspect that the iPhone
actually works in a manner similar to this under the surface, so to
speak.

In relation to the Newton, I bet it could be used with the built-in
keyboard, so as to not take up too much space.

However, there is a problem with this. I don't know about you guys,
but I type 50+ wpm, and when I'm forced to "peck" with one or two
fingers, or worse, use the built-in Newton keyboard (or the onscreen
Palm keyboard) I can't find the keys! I don't _really_ know where the
keys are consciously--it's all automatic now, so I would still be
forced to "learn" a new way of text entry! However, I've learned
QWERTY, the Newton HWR, Gesture Mosaic (long ago forgotten), the
Polish QWERTZ, and Graffiti, so I suppose one more can't hurt me! ;-)

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland