Re: [NTLK] iPhone

From: Ed Kummel <tech_ed_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon Jul 02 2007 - 14:57:27 EDT

I just recently got an AT&T 8500 running Windows Mobile 5 and I can tell you, when you're used to 3G speeds and your phone dumps you down to to a slower network, it can be very frustrating....It's gotten to the point that when the connection icon reads anything but 3G, I dont' even bother firing the up the browser...It really sucks when you try and use Google Maps and GPS to find your way through a strange city...the latency on the map updates can sometimes cause you to miss your next turn!.
  Ed
  web/gadget guru
"Thomas Brand (T2)" <thomasbrand@mac.com> wrote:
  At this point in time faster wireless networking is a non issue.
There is no feature on the iPhone that really requires faster
networking, especially if it decreases battery life. Now if in the
future they add the ability to purchase music, movies, and TV shows,
well that might create a greater need for faster networking.

Thomas Brand (T2)
mynewtonblog.net

On Jul 1, 2007, at 9:31 PM, Larry Yaeger wrote:

> EDGE is a passably fast service, but only available in fairly
> limited, urban areas. It's dealing with the web when you're not in
> one of the areas serviced by EDGE that things go so *very* slowly.
>
> That said, EDGE is not all that great. Some people call it "2.5G",
> to contrast it with "3G" wireless data technology. EDGE gets
> something like 200 - 300 Kbps. By contrast, EVDO and other true 3G
> technologies get more like 700 - 1100 Kbps, roughly 3x the speed of
> EDGE.
>
> - larryy

"The rule in Silicon Valley is that if Apple leaves the table smiling, the other guy got screwed,"
   - Rob Enderle, independant analyst on the Apple/Cisco iPhone lawsuit