Re: [NTLK] Sick of the iHype

From: Martin Joseph <NT_at_stillnewt.org>
Date: Tue Jul 03 2007 - 13:31:45 EDT

On Jul 3, 2007, at 5:25 AM, Mark Harter wrote:

> If the Newts days weren't already numbered... they are now.
>
> I've listed the reasons why I like the iPhone, but for me the
> biggest reason as I said before is SYNC, sync that actually works
> that is. My workflow/life demands that the data be in multiple
> places and all in sync. The Newt with its various methods are just
> too limiting, too unreliable to transfer data, too prone to error.
> I can't afford to wonder if my Newt has properly transfered the
> data, or has it lost anything. Too much wasted time.

Syncing is complicated, and you shouldn't be too euphoric about isync
in my experience. My Wife has discovered that moving contacts from
her phone's memory onto the phones SIM card (which the Moto phone
allowed her to do) subsequently erased the actual contact data (ie
phone #s) from her OSX address book after syncing. Then she lost her
phone and Voila! Missing phone #s.

Sure, it seems appealing, but I think there will still be reasons
to worry about it.

Marty