Re: [NTLK] Sick of the iHype

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Thu Jul 05 2007 - 05:16:41 EDT

On 7/4/07, Tony Kan <tonykan@xtra.co.nz> wrote:
> The sad fact is, that as far as sync goes, Mac-to-Newt falls way
> behind even Linux-to-WinMobile. If we're gauging sync technology
> based on our Newt experience, anything devised in the last few years
> will shine by comparison.

True. My Newton has always been a "stand-alone" device, although I did
sync contacts via NowSync for years, but once that broke, my Newton
was on its own. I would upload contacts to my desktop every few
months, but my Newton was "it."

However, Palm somehow works. I sync all the time, and I seldom have
problems. iSync even prevents overwrites. So, a quick sync, and it's
on my Palm, iCal and Google, which shoes up anywhere I want it
(NetVibes?).

But to put the clincher. I was playing with Ubuntu the other day, and
the Pilot program worked flawlessly, importing my 1000+ contacts into
Evolution, as well as my calendar, notes, etc. I was amazed at how
quickly I populated my data. In 20 minutes, between IMAP and the Palm,
I had everything I spent years accumulating on my ancient PC (over 15
years ago!), various Macs and Newton, on my Ubuntu install. Amazing! I
can't vouch for the daily sync issue, but I was impressed. If only the
Netwon could do that!

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland