Re: [NTLK] Pocket Quicken backup of my MP 2100 info

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Fri Jun 29 2007 - 02:38:05 EDT

On 6/28/07, Cwashiidcvrmtrs@aol.com <Cwashiidcvrmtrs@aol.com> wrote:
> Greetings, true believers:
>
> I have used Pocket Quicken on my 2100 for the past few years; keeping track
> of literally every credit-card and bank transaction during that time. As you
> can imagine, it is filled w/ alot(!) of info.
>
> Not that my trusty MP is showing signs of being overloaded, but Pocket
> Quicken is taking longer & longer to record a transaction these days...
>
> I use a Powerbook 2300c running OS 8.x to backup my 2100 (still finding a
> use for it!) and I would like to backup my Quicken info on it. Can anyone
> guide me as to how to best accomplish this goal?
>
> I am assuming I need to get a copy of PQ for the classic Mac OS. If that is
> the case, I would also appreciate some leads on where to score a copy.

As somebody else mentioned, you will need a copy of Quicken to get
this to work--I used PQC with Quicken 4 and 5. I still have my PQC,
but long ago lost my older versions of Quicken. If you need, I can
send you my PQC via disk images (I'm in Europe--a hassle to mail
floppies!)

However, I could suggest an alternative. PocketMoney by Catamount
software is an excellent alternative (offering split transactions! and
currency conversions, both inline and in prefs). Its beauty is that it
exports to the desktop via QIF files that any version of Quicken can
use, and, I think, other formats as well. Not only that, but Hardy
wrote a PocketQuicken conversion tool to import your data from PQ to
PM. If you've never tried PM before, download it, import, and then use
the Wildcat tool on your Mac to export to the Duo. It would be a
one-shot deal, but might be easier than mucking with PQC, etc.

However, you might find PM is decent enough to be worth your spending
money on it. BTW, I accidently wiped my owner info recently from my
Newton, and the only PM license number I could find was for an older
version. I wrote Hardy at Catamount, and he happily responded a day
later with my info! He is trustworthy, IMO.

HTAL (hope that all helps) ;-)

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland