Re: [NTLK] I need a PDA, is a Newton a sane choice today?

From: Jan Thomas <pnetops_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed Mar 07 2007 - 16:18:42 EST

--- Sonny Hung <sonnyhung@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Jan,

Hi Sonny.

Various snips... sorry.

> Let me chime in on this matter as I'm actually semi
> literate in Palm to
> Notes Syncing.
> (a little history behind the scene)
>
> I use to work as laptop support at Ogilvy & Mather -
> they were the Global
> Advertisers at that time for IBM who now owns Lotus
> Notes. Being that this

Yeah, I now work for IBM. They seem to 'force' all
their business partners to use LN, and probably charge
them a fortune in licencing too :-O

> I believe the primary software for this was
> IntelliSync...

This still exists, maybe it's a new incarnation, but I
bet it doesn't come in Newton flavour.

> IntelliSync works but one must (I repeat MUST) make
> daily backups and
> possibly incremental backups as data corruption if
> it occurs is going to put
> you through the wringer...

Not good.

> To just to what you're asking) at that time
> IntelliSync by PUMA TECH was the
> way to go. Lotus had no other solution syncing to
> Palm. As I'm not up to
> date with this any longer being out of the field
> after being let go back in
> 2002 after 9/11

Same thing happened to me and many of my IT friends.
We felt this too, in the UK.

> I'd suggest finding out what's the
> Sync Options first
> available with the Palm. There could have been new

Yeah there are several. They are between about $50-90.
IBM even sells their 'Lotus EasySync' which works with
Palm and PC, is qualified for LN upto and including
v7, and its 60'ish bucks. As an IBM employee though, I
can get it for free ;-)

BTW - I found all this out today. When I should've
been working... but hey, I'm trying to boost my
productivity...

> developments by other
> third party vendors that are better solution by now
> though I think because
> you are syncing with Notes you are going to have
> some issues still that will
> be just part of using a sync with Notes & Palm...

I guess no one solution is going to be totally plain
sailing.

> Much success!
> --
> God bless,