Re: [NTLK] I need a PDA, is a Newton a sane choice today?

From: Rene Raggl <rene.raggl_at_mac.com>
Date: Thu Mar 08 2007 - 02:30:55 EST

Jan,

My two cents: Think about what is more important to you: taking notes
in meetings or in the field, or flawless synching to Lotus Notes. If
you can answer the first one with a big yes, the Newt is for you. If
the second part is more important you shall be better off with a palm
or Win Mobile (though I too think the latter REALLY sucks).

The problem is that we apparently cannot have the best of both
worlds... The palm is a pain in the ass when it comes to entry of
larger data volumes. Even my shiny new TX is. After writing even a
short eMail (something like "Thanks, the new design looks great. I am
however sceptical about the new hinge design. Will discuss when I get
back.") with Graffiti 2 my hand cramps because of the small screen.
That is because the character recognition (I refuse to call it a
Handwriting recognition.) is rather strict and I have a very
irregular handwriting. So it goes something like that: Tn
*backstroke* hanix *backstroke* *backstroke* ks... You get the idea?
Even after I have owned palms for about 5 years (first a Visor Edge,
then a Tungsten T and now a TX) I still can't get my head around the
way Graffiti works. And therefore data entry is an excruciating
experience. It takes me about three minutes to enter this sentence.

But I always have it in the pocket of my suit just to look things up,
phone numbers, notes, calculations, quotations, presentations, check
market prices and flight / train schedules via WiFi and my beloved
eBooks. It is great in this function. (the shirt pocket size factor
is advantage too.)

For me personally I am putting big hopes in the iPhone. Why?
currently my Laptop bag contains: Macbook, Accessoires, Newton 2100
(for longer notetaking during meetings, the Macbook is too intrusive
and besides, the screen lid builds a "barrier" between you and the
customer), Newton Accessoires (spare AAs, WIFI Card, Modem Card,
Ethernetcard, Spare battery tray), iPod 20 GB, Casio Exilim S500 in
case I need to make photos for quality management (and all the
necessary cables for the above.

In addition to that a Nokia N70 (which I still haven't figured out to
connect with my TX for a GPRS connection) and the TX reside in my
pocket. So you can see I have to lug quite something around and I
just can't decide what I can leave behind. I guess the whole package
weighs in at about 10 kg (ca. 20 pounds) I could leave the Newton,
but customers are not disturbed by it as they are when I take the
notes on the Macbook. And it is very easy to print the notes in copy
for the customer (I use the Fax modem and fax it to the customers
fax, since there are very few Newton compatible printers still in use
today.) It also is great for protocols of your phone calls. Taking
the notes on the Palm is out of question. See above.

If I leave the Macbook behind I will not be able to make my
presentations (I use keynote). If I leave the TX behind, I will not
be able to just check the flight schedules for my plane tomorrow
without having to fire up the Laptop. We have a saying in Austria:
"This is where the dog bites it's tail." Meaning I am running in
circles... and honestly: it slowly drives me nuts.

I would really appreciate any constructive suggestions.

Regards,

Rene