[NTLK] A bit of a mystery

From: Dan <dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com>
Date: Thu Mar 15 2007 - 19:05:00 EDT

Hi all,
Well I just ran into a situation that is a bit of a mystery to me.
First off most people around here know that the 1x0 models (110, 120,
130 etc) used SRAM for storage meaning that if the man batteries went
dead (4 AA's) then a second small watch battery just above the main
batteries kicks in and keeps you from loosing your data or time. Also
most people know that if you have major problems with your 1x0 and want
to do a "old fashioned" brain wipe (delete everything) or need to get
rid of a OS update (those are not removed by a normal brain wipe) all
you have to do remove ALL the batteries and let it sit for a few hours
(perhaps a day) and everything will be cleared.

Well I recently ran into something has me scratching my head. Last year
I shut down my 130 (did a NCU backup and removed all batteries including
the little backup battery) since I wasn't using it much and didn't need
to keep it "ready". Then today I put in a fresh set of batteries and
turned it on. I fully expected to see the notepad as the backdrop, but
instead I saw Desktop! I checked in extras and the packages I had
installed internally were still there! And no I didn't have a flash
card inserted. The Newt in question has been sitting without power for
probably 8 months perhaps a little more.

This has me wondering if some of the 130's did have FLASH memory?
Everything I have read said only SRAM was used.

-Dan