Re: [NTLK] OT - Beware 10.4.9 Update

From: Martin Joseph <NT_at_stillnewt.org>
Date: Sun Mar 18 2007 - 15:49:57 EDT

On Mar 18, 2007, at 12:08 PM, A@dotline7@gmail.com wrote:

> Hello Intel Mac Users,
>
> Are you well, because I am not? First my configuration: startup disk
> is FW HDD, internal disk is not used for start up. Apple automatic
> update 10.4.9 worked in the background, when I worked with Cocktail
> (at the front). At some point I forget about update and asked
> Cocktail to restart, which resulted in spinning wheel. After
> successful manual restart from FW HDD I cannot !see! internal HDD at
> all. Internal HDD does NOT show up in Disk Utility or Data Rescue II.
> At the startup the internal HDD is clicking, than I can see grey
> folder with question mark. Any Help? How to recover data? What is dd?
> If someone could help me with dd I could try. I am not good at Unix.

This sounds like a hardware failure of the internal drive, which is
unrelated to the software update and simply coincidental.

The best tool for fixing and recovering Mac hard drives is the
Diskwarrior program from Alsoft.

HOWEVER, if the drive is hanging at power up and not showing in disk
utility, then NO program is going to recover the data from it. You
need to get the drive spinning and appearing first and then you can
get the data.

There a a myriad of ways to get the "stuck" drive spinning again,
including physical violence and freezing temperatures. These can
also be combined.

This is best done by someone with experience who understands the
internal geometry of an HDD and how to best whack it.

If you have no luck, you can pull and ship the drive to me, and I
will gladly try to recover your data for you.

Best of luck,
Marty