Re: [NTLK] Found this on engadget...

From: Steven Scotten <splicer_at_paroxysm.com>
Date: Sat May 05 2007 - 23:30:41 EDT

On May 5, 2007, at 4:30 PM, Apostolos Koutropoulos wrote:

> It amazes me that people said that the newton was 'too big' but we
> keep coming back to this form factor...

A bunch of things came together into focus when I read this for some
reason. There's no conclusion to draw, but I suddenly see some
connection between these facts:

I'm frustrated by my digital organizers; nothing, even Newt, seems to
fill all my needs.

There seems to be tension between the proponents of various sizes of
handheld and portable computers.

There is similar tension between the proponents of various sizes of
paper notebooks... There are those who spend $20 on their 3.5 x 5.5"
Moleskines and those who spend $20 on their 5.25 x 8.25" Moleskines.

I just did a rough comparison, and get this: The Newton 2x00 has
about the same footprint as a 5.25 x 8.25" Moleskine. It's more than
twice as heavy, even when you include a large, heavy fountain pen as
a part of the Moleskine (I weighed the Newton with stylus, so it's
only fair) but otherwise similar: it's a bit thicker and a bit
narrower, but almost the same length.

The Newton's screen is almost exactly the same size as the smaller
Moleskine.

It would be too glib to conclude simply that different people have
different ideas of too big or too small, although undoubtedly that's
true. I think there's something in here though. Just unsure what it
could be.

Personally, I've never complained that Newton was too big. Too thick
and heavy, perhaps, but height and width I've always liked. Sometimes
(often) I've wished the screen was bigger and higher-res.

Check out what this guy wrote when he found his long-lost PDA:

http://www.rohdesign.com/weblog/archives/002163.html

Steve