Re: [NTLK] Newt wireless?

From: John Chu <johnchu_at_acm.org>
Date: Wed May 23 2007 - 11:53:55 EDT

On Wed, May 23, 2007 at 08:24:17AM -0700, Ed Kummel wrote:
> Not negative, just realistic.
> No point in holding out false hope when viable alternatives are more than adequet.

I think it's worth distinguishing between technical impossibility and
unlikelihood of development. e.g., using CardBus cards, AFAIK, is a
technical impossiblity. However, for example, SSL strikes me as not
technically unfeasible, just rather unlikely someone would put in the
effort. (Please don't point me at the eloquent message posted to
NewtonTalk about how difficult this is. I think it was in the context
of collecting money to rewrite NIE. I've already read it. Thank you.)

Otherwise, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

In the case of war driving, scanning for wireless networks is
something the wireless card does. So I don't think it's technically
impossible for someone to write a MiniStumbler or KisMet type
application for the Newton. But someone would have to spend the many
man-hours to go do it. I don't see this as likely either. I mean, for
one thing, I think you may have to rewrite the Wifi card driver. But
it is not impossible and to state with absolute certainty that it will
never happen requires premonition. (But, I wouldn't wait for it to
happen either.)

                                     john