Re: [NTLK] 4,000 Newton modems and a lot of spare time.

From: Goodwin, Greg P. <GoodwinG_at_aafes.com>
Date: Wed Nov 28 2007 - 10:55:04 EST

From: Jon Glass

Man, the Newton modem was awesome! (snip) In fact, just the other day,
I discovered my own, now-ancient Newton modem, and was wondering if it
was worth setting up my Newton as our fax machine. ;-) Sadly, faxes
aren't so common as they once were...

Hmmm... an interesting idea. I just used to always laugh at the Newton
modem. It seemed like they were no sooner introduced and they were made
obsolete by the PCMCIA 2400 X-Jack card (which my Newton 110 from a pawn
shop in 1995 came with). When I saw this external modem that was a
quarter of the size of my Newton 110, I could only laugh.

They were 2400 baud right? And how did this fax function work anyway?
Newton sends faxes you create on the Newton, receives faxes in digital
form on the Newton, can be printed from the Newton if you so choose?