Re: [NTLK] 4,000 Newton modems and a lot of spare time.

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Wed Nov 28 2007 - 11:07:10 EST

On 11/28/07, Goodwin, Greg P. <GoodwinG@aafes.com> wrote:

> They were 2400 baud right? And how did this fax function work anyway?
> Newton sends faxes you create on the Newton, receives faxes in digital
> form on the Newton, can be printed from the Newton if you so choose?

Actually, the fax part was 9600 baud. But yes, you could send notes as
faxes, and it even had letterheads you could use. But receiving faxes
was where it was cool. Right in the inbox, you could view the fax,
write on it, fill in forms, sign the fax, and send it back. You could
also print, as you said.

As to a PC card modem. If you depended on your card to hold your
email, it was less functional, as you had to pull the memory card to
use a PC card modem. Since the earlier Newtons had such limited RAM, I
always stored my emails on the card when I could, so the Newton modem
worked great for that, as well. Oh, and the only down side was that I
could never get the modem to work from batteries, but since it used
the same power supply as my Newton, I just plugged that it when using
the modem. :-) Boy, that was ages ago--'95-'97...

--
 -Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland