Re: [NTLK] iPod Touch or iPhone IS the next Newton!!

From: Riccardo Mori <rick_at_poc.it>
Date: Tue Oct 30 2007 - 16:55:54 EDT

dotline7:

> Iphone is only a phone with address book. Which is OK. But not more.
>
> We have to wait for external keyboard and word processing, If
> possible at
> all.
>
> Any comments?

One: the iPhone/iPod touch are not the Newton, and they'll never be.

The underlying metaphor of the two devices is different: the Newton is
like an electronic notebook, where you jot, tap, draw as if it were a
common paper notebook. The other is like... a phone, or a home
appliance with cool touch controls. The interaction is different (more
'passive' and 'restricted' or 'sandboxed' in the iPhone). The extent
of customisation and "what's doable" is different. In my opinion, the
ideal, never-never-land Newton is actually a combination of the two. A
handheld device which could do what both the Newton and iPhone can do:
the freedom of writing anywhere in your own (recognisable/recognised)
writing, combined with the modern technologies (especially
connectivity) embedded in the iPhone. Yum.

My 1 cent and a half,
Rick