Re: [NTLK] SSID question

From: Lord Groundhog <lordgroundhog_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri Sep 21 2007 - 15:47:31 EDT

~~~ On 2007/09/21 17:58, Albert at albalabs@yahoo.com wrote ~~~

> You can get one of those Wifi Keychains Fobs that
> measure signal strength and shows what networks are
> available. I believe it will also show the SSID of
> Wifi Spots too. I will research these and find out.
> Then it shouldn't be such a difficult matter of
> finding the name and then plugging it into the Newton.
> I know it sounds like a pain, but so far we don't
> have native Newton software that can identify the
> networks. At least I don't think so..
>

> --- Oliver Leaman <oliverleaman@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Thanks for those who told me what a SSID is, and
>> presumably to use the wifi card and Hiroshi's driver
>> I need to know first the name of the relevant
>> network. Doesn't that make it rather useless if one
>> is moving around the world through different places
>> that have hot spots, but no indication of their
>> names?

ZyXEL do one that not only tells the SSID but also what channel it's on,
whether it's "B" or "G", and what kind of locking it has if it isn't
unlocked.

The serial number on the one I have is ZyXEL AG-225H, it's called a "Finder
and Adapter" because it can also plug into a USB port and give wifi
capability to a computer without built-in wifi card. One drawback, if you
only want to travel with your Newton: it charges up from a computer's USB,
too. But it works a treat.

Shalom.
Christian

MP2100: the computer of tomorrow ‹ yesterday.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=1ZzpdPJ7Zr4
(With thanks to Chod Lang)
http://tinyurl.com/29y2dl

Fight Spam! Join EuroCAUCE: http://www.euro.cauce.org/