Re: [NTLK] Connecting Newton to a Modern PC

From: Matt Howe <matthowe_at_comcast.net>
Date: Fri Sep 28 2007 - 21:21:55 EDT

I have been using virtual PC for a couple of years. I even do all of my
development work using NTK in a virtual Win98SE. I use the Virtual PC that
is free from Microsoft. My PC has serial ports but I have been lead to
believe that one of the USB to serial adapters with the appropriate drivers
is transparent to serial based applications. Also for loading programs, once
I got my wifi card set up I turned on the web server on my XP box and set it
to display directories. Now whenever I want to install something to my 2100
I just chuck it in my web directory and download it with Newtscape. On my
Emate, which is my NPDS server and development machine, I connect via serial
to NTK to load and test applications I am working on.

Matt (Ducky) Howe
Owner of a MP2000U and an Emate
mhowe@gfn.org (Newton)
http://santa-duck.dyndns.org:8080/ (Newton server)
matthowe@comcast.net (Desktop)
http://home.comcast.net/~mhowe41/ (desktop)

Albert wrote:
<snip>
I read Scott Hanselman's excellent article on using
Virtual PC with Newton Connection Utilities. I can't
utilize this approach as I don't have serial ports on
my computer and I believe Virtual PC doesn't recognize
the USB ports so I can't use a USB to Serial
Converter.
<snip>