Re: [NTLK] They'd better get it right

From: matthiasm <mm_at_matthiasm.com>
Date: Fri Sep 28 2007 - 15:04:45 EDT

On Sep 28, 2007, at 5:56 PM, Michael LaMorte wrote:

> If Apple announces a "Newton Successor" they *have* to realize that
> one of the reasons the Newton was -- and continues to be -- so
> popular and successful is because people could write software for it.

Well, all cell phones, and even the iPhone, are quite open to 3rd
party software development. Looking at the resources that exist for
the iPhone, it is no problem to write whatever software one likes.
And most of the information came right from Apple - it just isn't
labeled as "developer resources", but nevertheless easy enough to
convert in everything that is needed for development.

> A cell phone, yeah, I can *almost* understand not wanting to open the
> platform. A virus on a cell phone that has easy access to a
> persistent internet connection and access to all your personal data
> would be catastrophic.

Not much more than dialers on your regular PC. For PCs, we all know
that they can have viruses and monitor what they are doing. Among
cell phone users, it only slowly sinks in that these devices are full-
on PCs, faster than a desktop computer anno 2003. ;-)

Matthias

----
http://robowerk.com/